Women Embrace Sailing Discovery Day & Lunch
Time & Location
About The Adventure
Want to “just try” sailing to see how you like it? Always been curious about going sailing?
Come and join us for one of our Women Embrace Discover Sailing Day for your chance to get out on the water to see what it’s like.
Our highly experienced sailing instructors take us out on Force 24, 24ft inshore keelboats, to “give us a taste” of what sailing is all about. We'll spend a couple hours learning basic sailing skills, terminology and boat handling manoeuvres.
Enjoy the unique opportunity to spend some time on our beautiful Newcastle Harbour and to see our city from a different perspective! We'll cap off our adventure with a celebratory drink and yummy lunch at the Newcastle Cruising Yacht Club's Bistro Nor East.
Join us for a Sailing Adventure to remember:
Date: Saturday, Jan 23, 2020
Time: Start 9:30 am-Finish 1:30 pm
Age: For women 18 years and over
Fitness Level: Suitable for all fitness levels as long as you can climb onto the boat you will be right. You will need to be confident in the water and able to swim 50 meters unaided (not that we plan on swimming!)
Meeting Place: Newcastle Cruising Yacht Club, 95 Hannell St, Wickham NSW 2293 (will email specifics)
- Qualified Sailing Instructors (1:4 instructor to student ratio)
- Women Embrace Adventure (WEA) Hosts
- All Sailing equipment, Force 24 Keel Boats, PFD's (life jackets), gloves
- Sailing safety briefing and all instruction
- Lunch and a drink of your choice at Nor East Restaurant NCYC, we can cater for most dietary needs, let us know when booking
- Photos of your adventure that will be uploaded after the event to the facebook event page
- Australian Sailing Number
What to bring:
- Activewear suitable for outdoor activity (shorts or workout tights, sun-safe t-shirt)
- Hat: preferably a cap with brim or bucket hat with chin cord
- Wind/spray Jacket
- Joggers/rubber-soled, closed, comfortable shoes that can get wet
- Small bag to carry a water bottle, jacket, sunscreen, hat, towel and a spare set of clothes in case of the odd splash
- Reading glasses if needed (we will give you a health history to fill out before we start)
- Sunscreen and bug protection
- Any personal medication that may be needed (e.g. asthma puffer)
Check out the Discover Sailing video: https://vimeo.com/318472071
How fit do I need to be?
Sailing requires a level of agility in order to comfortably get onto the boat, pull ropes and move from side to side. However, this is not an adventure that needs a super high level of fitness as we will be taking breaks throughout the sail to catch our breath and take in the beautiful setting. As with any new physical activity, always discuss anything new with your GP.
Do the boats tip over?
Nope, we will be sailing on Force 24 keelboats, which are 24 feet (7.31metres) long, have a big lead keel for ballast that prevent the boats from turning turtle. All sailing boats heal or tip to the side with the wind (heal over) but these boats are extremely stable, very safe and designed for teaching beginning sailors.
Where do we sail, do you go outside the heads into open ocean?
We sail within the Newcastle Harbour Basin on mainly flat water. Safety is our biggest priority always, we don't go into the open ocean or through the heads.
What if I don’t have anyone to go with?
No problem at all, there is always a Women Embrace Adventure host to make sure everyone meets before we set off. By the end of the day, we're sure you will have found some new friends.
Do I need experience?
Definitely not! Our instructors will give a comprehensive briefing before hitting the water on equipment use, safety and what to expect. They teach in a very gentle manner and will offer tips on how to improve your techniques and make sailing fun and enjoyable for you.
I've sailed in the past, is this adventure for me?
It sure is! Spending time on the water with a highly qualified, patient, softly spoken sailing instructor in a safe supportive environment doesn't always happen in the sailing world but it will happen on our discover sailing day!
How many women will be on my adventure and on my boat?
We like to keep things quite small and intimate at Women Embrace Adventure to offer you a supportive and friendly environment. There will be a max of 12 participants and you'll sail with 3 other adventurers (4 total) and one sailing instructor per boat.
Will bad weather conditions affect my adventure?
It could. Wet weather will generally not cause the cancellation but high wind may be. If the weather is inclement enough to be a potential safety risk, we will contact you via email and phone.
What if I am petrified of water/tipping over/boats and freak out?
It happens and we are here to provide a supportive environment for you to just give it a go. Our sailing instructors and WEA hosts are very adept at calming nerves and helping you to see exactly what you are capable of accomplishing. No judgement!
Women Embrace Adventure is a registered Covid Safe Business
To prioritise the wellbeing women, staff and our community, Women Embrace Adventure is taking important measures to limit the transmission of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
Before you book or attend an adventure, please note:
- If you have recently travelled overseas or to Victoria, been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 or have flu-like symptoms(such as fever or cough), please schedule your adventure after your self-isolation period ends and you have the all-clear.
- If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19, we recommend you focus on getting well and postpone your adventure until you have been given the all-clear by your doctor.
- If you become unwell prior to your adventure or have contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Women Embrace Adventure has the following safety measures in place:
- Precautionary questions around health and travel
- Limiting the number of women on an adventure
- Provision of hand sanitiser
- Practising social distancing
- Zero contact check-in process
- Not sharing equipment and utensils
- Individually packaged food
- Cleaning equipment and commonly used surfaces often
Here’s how you can help us when attending your adventure:
- Stay at home if you are unwell
- Wash your hands before joining us
- Avoid touching your nose and mouth
- Maintain a safe distance of 1.5 metres from others where possible
*Booking terms and Conditions: Payment for this Embrace Sailing are final once you receive a confirmation email. No refunds will be given unless the adventure is cancelled by Women Embrace Adventure, in which case full refund will be issued or the participant may elect to credit the booking amount to another tour date available. The booking is transferable, this is a women's only tour and can only be transferred to a female over 18 years of age. Women Embrace Adventure reserves the right to cancel this adventure if undersubscribed with full refund to participant. Women Embrace Adventure the right to refuse participation at any time. See full T&C on our website.
We will notify you of any changes or cancellations via email and text. Should you be unsure about the weather conditions or have any other question drop us an email at email@example.com
- Sold OutEmbrace Sailing Discovery Day$185GST included$185GST included0$0