Sun, 02 June|
Embrace Scenic Rim Hiking Adventure
The Scenic Rim Region of SE Queensland is a hiking paradise! Marvel at the dramatic scenery, explore the rich cultural heritage, sample the local fare, and stay in a quaint converted old church with a group of awesome women. We'll head into the lesser–known and ‘wilder’ western Scenic Rim.
Time & Location
02 June 2024, 5:00 pm – 07 June 2024, 5:30 pm
Scenic Rim, Boonah QLD 4310, Australia
About The Adventure
Join us as we head off to the wilder, more remote region of the Scenic Rim in South East Queensland, one of the most beautiful parts of Australia, on this fully guided, pack-free, all-inclusive hiking adventure.
Adventure Length: 6 days/5 nights
Start and Finish Location: Brisbane, QLD
Start Date: Sunday 2nd June 2024 5:00 pm
Finish Date: Friday 7th June 2024 5:30 pm
Hike Distance: approx 40 km hiking over five days
Fitness Level: These hikes are graded 4; a moderate to a high level of fitness is required.
For more information on the grading system, we use click here
Group Size: Maximum 10 (plus your local guide and WEA host)
Accommodation: Twin Share Accommodation in a combination of Brisbane hotel and The Old Church Bed and Breakfast. Single supplements may be available at an extra cost in Brisbane only.
Your Package Includes:
- All meals, including a welcome dinner in Brisbane and special celebration lunch at the schmick Blume in Boonah on the final day, with a focus on fresh local, seasonal produce.
- Breakfast on days 2-6, a mix of continental and cooked breakfast depending on the day
- Lunch on days 2-6
- Dinner-Day 1 Welcome Dinner at a restaurant in Brisbane, Day 2-5 home-cooked and delicious meals served at our accommodation
- Daily morning/afternoon tea/snacks
- Twin-share hotel accommodation in Brisbane on the first night
- Twin-share accommodation with shared bathrooms at The Old Church Bed & Breakfast
- Return transfers to and from Brisbane to the Scenic Rim and to our daily adventures
- A visit to the historic village of Kalbar, in the heart of productive farmland and a great village for a wander
- Visit a local artist's studio
- Emergency communications and first aid kits carried by your guides and host
- Wilderness First Aid trained local Horizon Guide and Women Embrace Adventure host to ensure you have the most amazing adventure
- Queensland Horizon Guides founder Teresa Cause, an expert on the flora & fauna and all things Scenic Rim
- Guaranteed fun, laughter and, as usual, some Women Embrace Adventure surprises along the way!
Your Package DOES NOT include:
- Flights or travel to Brisbane
- Travel Insurance-required
- Alcohol (you are welcome to byo for a drink before/with dinner)
$3475/pp twin share; this amount covers all inclusions outlined "Your Package Includes."
Day 1 – Sunday 2 June: Meet at our Brisbane Hotel Accommodation at 5 pm and head out for our Welcome Dinner (M-D)
Day 2 – Monday 3rd June: We will be picked up by our local guide and head to the Scenic Rim for our first walk, Cunninghams Gap to Mt Cordeaux Lookout. This walk is a wonderful outing and a great introduction to the many facets of the Scenic Rim. Beginning at Cunningham’s Gap under the cool closed canopy of sub-tropical rainforest the well-graded track contours west, then east before emerging onto the spectacular lookout surrounded by Giant Spear Lilies and mountain heath. The vista from here encompasses a great swath of the Scenic Rim, affording an appreciation for the naming of the region. There are some curious tales to tell along the way … We return by the same route – this time losing altitude all the way. This park is part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area, famed for its ongoing geological processes, evolutionary history, and diversity (especially of rare, threatened and endemic species) After lunch, a scenic drive brings us to Boonah where we’ll have a chance to pick up supplies before travelling the short distance out of town to settle into your accommodation. Stay at The Old Church Bed & Breakfast (M-B,L,D)
Day 3 – Tuesday 4th June: Border Track: Mt Lindesay to Palen Creek Approx. 14 km. Our day begins in the foothills east of towering Mt Lindesay. The Old Highway Road is but a dirt track through grassy paddocks leading to King George Gate and into NSW. To the south lies the Border Ranges NP. Turning left along the historic Rabbit Board Fence, the rollercoaster trail stretches on through many forest types with spectacular viewpoints. Skirting the precipitous peak of Glennie's Chair we arrive at a palm-fringed oasis for morning tea. A short steep climb brings us back to the Fence and our trail rolls on through eucalypt forests and magnificent sections of rainforest. On our northern side, part of Mt Barney NP protects the steep upper catchments flowing to Palen Creek. Descending from the Fence the track brings us to a lush Rabbit Board Reserve paddock where we’ll enjoy lunch and cuppa before descending a long sharp spur through a native forest plantation. Joining us for the day will be a special guest guide. Stay at The Old Church Bed & Breakfast (M-B,L,D)
Day 4 – Wednesday 5th June: Waterfall Gorge – Mt Greville (Moogerah Peaks NP) Distance approx. 6.5km (Grade 4) This rugged little peak is one of the gems of the Fassifern. It has such wonderful diversity of habitat, flora and fauna that every turn in the track is a surprise. The route ascends the peak via Waterfall Gorge threading through a jumbled array of rocks between narrow towering cliffs that protect Piccabeen palms and giant White Beech trees. Emerging from the Gorge the route crosses the forested ridge to a magnificent lookout before joining the walking track to the summit. The return route brings us back through heath-land and over rhyolite slabs that support hoya, ferns and orchids and on through open forest to complete the circuit. Stay at The Old Church Bed & Breakfast (M-B,L,D)
Day 5 – Thursday 6th June: Mt Maroon Traverse (Mt Barney NP) Approx 10km. With its imposing cliffs, Mt Maroon (967m) appears as a somewhat daunting peak and whilst this is a climb that is challenging in places, the breathtaking 360o view from the open summit makes it a thoroughly worthwhile outing. Botanically this is a special peak with rare and vulnerable species of plants occupying a mosaic of very different habitats. The summit area is rocky with delicate montane heath growing in the shallow soils. Beneath the summit, giant eucalypts and turpentines dominate the dense forest. A narrow trail leads SW to take us off the summit and down a rough, rocky water-course that eventually becomes a series of dry cascades and pools ending at Paddy’s Gully, a tributary of Mt Barney Creek. From here we join the fire trail, passing by the 40m Paddy’s waterfall and continuing on easy ground. If it’s a warm day, a dip in Mt Barney Creek will be a refreshing finish! Our traverse of Mt Maroon has a wilderness feel and will give you a true appreciation of this beautiful peak. Stay at The Old Church Bed & Breakfast (M-B,L,D)
Day 6 - Friday 7th June: Wind down day in the Fassifern Valley. After breakfast and pack up it’s time to farewell Mt Barney Lodge. Your final day in the Scenic Rim allows time to experience a slice of life in the beautiful Fassifern Valley. From Milford we’ll drive across to the historic village of Kalbar in the heart of productive farmland. It’s a lovely place to stroll and the star attraction is The Empire Revival Emporium. Continuing on to Boonah, renowned metal sculptor Christopher Trotter welcomes us to a truly unique studio home. Chris shares this lovely property with partner and artist Stephanie Wernick. Stephanie has a studio/gallery nestled in the garden. Our finale is a culinary experience at Blume in Boonah. The deserved reputation of this intimate space of local taste delights is spreading far and wide and bookings can be hard to secure! Replete, we will transfer you back to Brisbane to say our goodbyes from this wonderful Adventure (M-B,L)
Note: We finish our adventure in Brisbane Friday 7th June at approx 5:30 pm in time for an evening flight home. If staying on in Brisbane accommodation is not included, we can recommend hotels for you to book direct.
What to Bring/wear: We'll send you a complete packing list once you book but here is a sample of what you need
- Day Pack with sturdy waist strap
- Water bottle/bladder – at least 2-litre capacity
- Personal toiletries and personal medication
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Walking boots or shoes/trail runners-well worn, with good tread
- Walking poles if you use them
- Wet weather jacket/pants
- Warm jacket
- Comfortable walking clothes-2 sets are all you need
- Sun hat
- Beanie for cool weather/evenings
- Optional – bathers, camera, binoculars, mobile phone (reception is patchy along the walk)
We hope you can join us on this amazing adventure!
Remember, this trip is open to a maximum of only ten lucky women!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring Sharon on 0467504879 with any questions.
xSharon and Kat
Now the nitty-gritty and bits and bobs...
Stay Safe Procedures:
Women Embrace Adventure is taking important measures to limit the transmission of COVID-19:
*Terms and Conditions apply
By making a booking, you agree, understand and accept our terms and conditions, including these Terms and Conditions, our Covid-19 Policy and the Waiver of Liability.
Your booking is final once payment is processed and a confirmation email is sent to you.
This is a women's only adventure.
Valid for travel for 2 June 2023 departure.
Valid for sale until sold out.
Advertised prices are per person, twin share and do not include return airfares/transport to start in Brisbane or required travel insurance.
Prices are correct as of 22 June 2023 and are subject to availability, withdrawal and change at any time without notice due to fluctuations in charges and currency.
A non-refundable deposit of $600 per person is required to secure your booking.
Full price $3475/person
You will be invoiced for the balance owing, which is due on or before 5th March 2024 and is payable via direct deposit, PayPal or credit card.
All current government safety and health guidelines at the time of booking and departure must be adhered to, including all Covid-19 requirements. Any additional costs related to but not limited to government travel restrictions are the responsibility of the individual traveller and not Women Embrace Adventure. If this trip is undersubscribed or in circumstances where external events affect the viability or safety of this trip to go ahead, Women Embrace Adventure reserves the right to cancel or reschedule and to exclude/remove any participants from this trip. Your booking is non-transferable.
Cancellation Fees Apply:
· Prior to 90 days before the trip departure, we reserve the right to charge any administration costs and any trip cost incurred by us prior to the time of cancellation
· Between 90-60 days before trip departure-75% Of the Adventure Cost plus any administration costs and any trip cost incurred by us prior to the time of cancellation
· Between 59-30 days before trip departure- 85% Of the Adventure Cost plus any administration costs and any trip cost incurred by us prior to the time of cancellation
· Within 30 days of the trip departure - 100% Of the Adventure Cost
· Once the trip has commenced, there will be no refunds granted.
· It is required that you have a purchased comprehensive travel insurance policy at the time of booking
Embrace the Scenic Rim 2024
Deposit only for 6 days, 5 nights, pack free, fully guided amazing Hiking Adventure. You will be invoiced for the balance owing.$600.00