Sun, 30 June|
SOLD OUT Embrace Walking, Whale Watching and Wine
Join us for a whale watching walk around beautiful Newcastle. We will take advantage of the amazing coastline, lookouts and walking paths to spot the majestic humpback whales on their annual journey to warmer waters. Finish off with a glass of wine and watch the sun set over Merewether Beach.
Time & Location
30 June 2019, 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Merewether Surfhouse, 5 Henderson Parade, Merewether NSW 2291, Australia
About The Adventure
About the Walk
Lets take advantage of Newcastle’s coastline and see it come alive with the migration of thousands of majestic humpback whales on their annual journey from the depths of the icy Antarctic Southern Ocean to the warmer waters off Hervey Bay, Queensland. This annual pilgrimage sees around about 20,000 humpbacks make their way along our beautiful coastline and we will do out best to spot the whales from many of the popular beaches and lookouts in the area.
Our 11km walk will start at Merewether Surfhouse walking along the streets of Merewether heading towards Nobbys headland. We'll turn around at Nobby's headland and take the coastal route back taking in some great whale watching vantage points along the way such as the The Anzac Memorial Walk which provides access to one of the most scenic sections of Newcastle's coastal walk and 360 degree views that stretch over the Pacific Ocean and beyond to the Hunter Valley and Strzlecki Lookout - a perfect place for whale-watching during winter. Along the way we will stop for a lite afternoon tea including Sharons baked goods. We will finish off the day with a glass of wine while watching the sun go down over one of the best views in Newcastle from the terrace bar, on the top level of the Merewether Surfhouse.
We estimate the walk will take approx 3 hours in total, giving us plenty of time to take in our beautiful surroundings and of course spot as many whales as we can.
- Sunday 30th June
- Approximate times: 1:00pm - 5:00pm
- Who is this walk for: For women 18 years and above who have a moderate level of fitness
- Cost: $45 includes your walk, afternoon tea and drink (wine/beer/softdrink/coffe or tea) at the Surfhouse afterwards
- Age: for women 18 years and over
- Fitness Level: This hike covers approx 11kms of easy to moderate walking. A lot of our walk is flat but yes have a few steep hills and steps along the way. We recommend you have a moderate level of fitness to complete this walk. As with any fitness activity, check with your GP if in doubt. This walk is not handicapped accessible at this time and pets are not allowed.
- Whats Included:
- WEA Wilderness first aid qualified host
- Snacks for afternoon tea (including Sharon Baked goods)
- A drink of choice at the Surfhouse as we watch the sun go down
- Guaranteed fun and laughter with a great bunch of women
What to Bring:
- Wear a comfortable pair walking shoes. Hiking boots, a sturdy pair of joggers or trail running shoes are great, sandals or thongs are not.
- Comfortable/warm active wear
- Hat, sunscreen, bug spray and sun glasses
- Any personal medication you may need
- A day pack (to carry your personal belongings),
- Waterproof jacket, extra layer and spare socks (incase of cold/ wet weather)
- At least 2 litres of water (remember we will be walking for a few hours).
- Additional Snacks if you have any favourites - we will bring afternoon tea everyone. If you have a favourite snack you think you might need please feel free to bring them along.
Meeting point: Merewether Surfhouse, 5 Henderson Parade, Merewether NSW. We will send exact meeting location closer to the date in a email and text message.
What if I don't have anyone to go with? No problem at all, there is a Women Embrace Adventure host to make sure everyone is introduced to everyone before we set off. By the end of the walk we are sure you would have found some new friends.
How do I know if I'm fit enough for this walk? There are some hills and we will be walking on city streets, on uneven paths, up and down quite steep hills for about 11km's over a few hours. As with any new physical activity, we recommend you check with your GP.
What fitness is required? A moderate level of fitness is required for this walk.
What if we don't see any whales? We can't guarantee that you'll see the migrating giants but we'll do our best. We'll have lots of fun with or without!
What are the booking Terms and Conditions: Payment for Hike are final once you receive a confirmation email. No refunds will be given. This is an all weather event. For full T&C see our webpage.
- Ticket type
Whales, Walking and Wine
Embrace Walking, Whale Watching and Wine Newcastle - Sunday 30th JunePrice$45.00